Withdrawal from Courses or from the College

How to Withdraw

Students should go to their CUNYFirst account during the official withdrawal period and drop the course(s) they desire on their own.

Nursing students who are considering withdrawal from clinical courses are advised to first consult the Nursing Department guidelines.


  • Students with a Bursar hold or a Registrar hold cannot withdraw online and must report to the Registrar (A-104) for assistance before the deadline!
  • International Students should see their advisor in the ISS office (L-431) for assistance.

Medical Withdrawal: If students need to withdraw for medical reasons, they must contact the Office of Health Services (MC-02 /718-631-6375) as the first step in the withdrawal process.

Requests for withdrawals due to extraordinary circumstances that can be documented are reviewed by the Committee on Course and Standing. Appeal forms are available in the Registrar's Office or online.

Important Things to Know Before Deciding to Withdraw

Monday, December 13th is the Last Day to Withdraw Officially for Fall 2021

Unless there is an emergency, you should use the "Withdrawal Period" to consider the reason(s) why you wish/need to withdraw from your course(s) and weigh the pros and cons of doing so. There is ample time to reach out, see a counselor, talk to your professor, seek tutoring or other support services, and make an informed decision as to whether or not to withdraw - one that will not affect you negatively in the future.

Some Facts about Withdrawing

  • Students who withdraw officially from a course will be assigned a "W" grade - which does not affect their GPA - for this course.

  • Withdrawing could help you avoid another D or F grade if all else fails.

  • Withdrawing could also affect your Financial Aid; if you receive Aid, you should talk to a Financial Aid counselor first.

  • Students who withdraw do not get a refund.

  • Students who stop attending without withdrawing will earn a WU grade (a WU grade counts like an F). Decide, stay or go, but if you go, exercise your right to withdraw before the deadline to avoid adverse effects on your GPA.

Common Myths to Avoid

If I get a WU, I can appeal it and get it changed to a W grade
In order to be eligible for a grade reversal through the Committee on Course and Standing (CCS), you must have VALID and DOCUMENTED reasons for appealing.

If I keep withdrawing on time from my classes, I will not my lose financial aid
SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progression) standards not only look at your GPA but also at the number of credits you’ve attempted versus those you have earned in order to determine financial aid eligibility. Repeated withdrawals while receiving financial aid will affect that ratio.

If I withdraw from all my classes now and come back next term, I will avoid being dismissed and will not be on probation anymore
False! You may even risk not being readmitted if your GPA is below 1.5. Probation does not simply go away with time. It will require work and diligence on your part.

Campus Cultural Centers

Kupferberg Holocaust Center exterior lit up at nightOpens in a new window
Kupferberg Holocaust Center Opens in a new window

The KHC uses the lessons of the Holocaust to educate current and future generations about the ramifications of unbridled prejudice, racism and stereotyping.

Russian Ballet performing at the Queensborough Performing Arts CenterOpens in a new window
QPAC: Performing Arts CenterOpens in a new window

QPAC is an invaluable entertainment company in this region with a growing national reputation. The arts at QPAC continues to play a vital role in transforming lives and building stronger communities.

Queensborough Art Gallery exterior in the afternoonOpens in a new window
QCC Art GalleryOpens in a new window

The QCC Art Gallery of the City University of New York is a vital educational and cultural resource for Queensborough Community College, the Borough of Queens and the surrounding communities.