What is the Equity Institute?
The Equity Institute is an eight-week learning experience designed by the University of Southern California's (USC) Race and Equity Center. Each week a team of twenty colleagues attend two-hour virtual modules led by faculty from USC's national network of highly regarded scholars. In between sessions, participants meet in groups of five to discuss how what they are learning applies to their institution. At the end of the eight weeks, each group develops an action plan to advance equity in one of four opportunity areas.
Queensborough participated in the Equity Institute in Fall 2021.
Why Did Queensborough Participating?
A review of student outcome data in AY 2020-2021 revealed that there were a rising numbers of first-time, full-time first-year students who were struggling. Observations included the following:
- One–semester rates were declining
- Almost a quarter of the first-time, full-time, first-year cohorts in 2019 and 2020 did not reenroll in the spring
- There was an upward trend in first-time, full-time, first-year students who had a zero GPA in their first semester
- Close to 30% of first-time, full-time, first-year students finished their first semester with a GPA below 2.0
- While these trends were seen across all racial and gender groups, Black and Latino male students were disproportionately impacted.
Interrupting the observed trends required immediate action.
What Content was Covered ?
Below is a list of modules that were selected for the Queensborough team.
Week 1: Foundations of Racial Equity in Higher Education
Week 2: Talking About Race, Racism, and Racial Inequities
Week 3: Data & Inquiry
Week 4: Power, Identity and Managing Racial Tensions in the Workplace
Week 5: Reducing Stereotype Threat and Microaggressions in the Classroom
Week 6: Reducing Bias in the Search and Hiring Process
Week 7: Improving and Advancing Equity Goals through Incentivizing and Accountability
Week 8: Using Assessment & Evaluation to Improve Campus Racial Climates