Change of Status Written Statement Suggestions
To strengthen your change of status application, it is recommended that you submit a detailed written statement justifying your decision to apply for F-1 status. Please consult the questions below to help you form a framework for your statement.
Why did you come to the U.S.?
- What have you been doing since you arrived? Attach evidence that proves you have been engaging in activities that brought you here.
- After arriving in the U.S., what happened that caused you to decide to study at this school? Please write a detailed, step-by-step description of the circumstances that led to your decision to attend school here. Attach any evidence to prove what happened. (B statuses only)
- Why do you want to change your status to F-1? (all other statuses)
- If you were employed back home, please explain how your studies will not affect returning to that employment. Also, explain how your career will benefit from your U.S. education. Please attach a letter from your foreign employer that establishes that an extended stay in the U.S. will not affect your employment
- If you were not employed back home, describe how your studies here will help prepare you for a career back home
- Describe your intention to return home permanently following the completion of your studies. What is pulling you back there and why? Explain that you have a permanent residence there to which you plan to return. Attach proof of this residence.