The office is providing services to students via e-mail, telephone, and online zoom sessions, with limited in-person services available. We recommend that you continue to work with us remotely - it's convenient and easy!
All visitors to campus are required to show proof of vaccination or a negative Covid test no more than seven days prior to coming to campus. Masks are required for in-person services.
CUNY Start is an intensive and supportive program for students who need to take a skills development course before beginning many credit-bearing courses. At a cost of just $75 for the semester, CUNY Start can help you save your limited financial aid dollars for courses that will earn you credit toward graduation.
In Fall 2020, the CUNY Start Program will be entirely online, offering highly interactive, synchronous instruction every class day.
Since coming to QCC in 2011, the CUNY Start programs have helped thousands of students prepare to thrive in college. By joining CUNY Start, you have the opportunity to meet all of your remedial requirements, prepare for the challenge of college-level work, and work with a dedicated adviser who will make sure that you have the tools you need to successfully navigate your first semesters of college.
For a quick introduction to CUNY Start, watch the video below.
CUNY Start Program Options
All programs include weekly advisement and college success seminars.
Full-Time Math and English Program:
- 25 hours of Reading, Writing and Math instruction per week
- Mondays through Fridays: 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. or 9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Part-Time Math Program:
- 12 hours of Math instruction per week
- Mondays through Thursdays: 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. OR 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. OR 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Part-Time English Program:
- 12 hours of Reading/Writing instruction per week
- Monday through Thursday; 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. OR 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. OR 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Complete a CUNY Start interest form and we will contact you for an Information Session!
WHY CHOOSE CUNY START?
- Have live instruction every class day
Spend less time in remedial classes
Improve your Reading, Writing and Math skills
Have two opportunities to earn proficiency for college-level classes
Save money with $75 tuition for the entire semester
Learn in a supportive, student-centered environment
Work with a CUNY Start Adviser to plan your academic future
Build your college knowledge and skills
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR CUNY START?
To join CUNY Start, you need to:
- Have a high school or high school equivalency diploma
- Be an admitted student at Queensborough Community College
- Have placement results that indicate you need to take one or more remedial courses:
- Full-time Program: You need to take a remedial math course and a remedial English course
- Part-time Math Program: You need to take a remedial math course
- Part-Time English Program: You need to take a remedial English course
- Submit a short data form and attend an information session with a CUNY Start staff member
CUNY Start News
Community College Research Center: Teaching Matters and So Does Curriculum: How CUNY Start Reshaped Instruction for Students Referred to Developmental Mathematics
Inside Higher Ed: CUNY’s Intensive Remedial Ed Semester Showing Success
Freshta Mayar is studying Business Administration at Queensborough Community College and wants to open her own business someday.