Committee on Budget Advisement Annual Report for 2020-21
Annual Report for 2020-2021
To: Steering Committee, Academic Senate
From: Chair, QCC Academic Senate Committee on Budget Advisement
Date: September, 2021
- Philip Pecorino, Faculty Executive Committee, Social Sciences, chairperson
- Steven Dahlke, Academic Senate Steering Committee, Music
- David Lieberman, representative from the Budget Committee of the College Personnel and Budget Committee/Committee of Chairs, Physics
- Asia Khan and Arnab Sharma, Student Government Association
Ex Officio Members:
- President’ Designee: Senior Vice President Sherri Newcomb and then Vice President, Finance and Administration, William Faulkner,
- COC Liaison—not yet named or reported
- Steering Committee Designee—not yet named or reported
- Sebastian Murolo, Business
- Margot Edlin, Faculty Executive Committee
The Committee met four times during 2020-2021:8-26-20, 2-24-21,3-25-21,5-12-21
Narrative summary of committee work:
The bylaws charges (see appendix 1) were reviewed and followed.
In relation to charge a “Meet, on at least a bi-annual basis, with the College’s chief officer for Finance and Administration to discuss college budgetary matters” the Committee met each time with Vice President William Faulkner who led a review of QCC Quarterly Financial Reports and the QCC Financial Plan for FY22
In relation to charge c “Hold any college budget documents circulated in meetings as confidential;” the chair made provisions for Documents to be collected and archived and kept confidential through a device created by QCC IT Department. Documents that will be collected and archived—see below Appendix 2
In relation to charge d “recommendations regarding the budget and/or the budget allocation process at Queensborough Community College “ Vice President William Faulkner agreed that the process of preparing budgets for the College would be better informed with enrollment projections that extend beyond just one year and consider multiple possibilities. CUNY EVC Hector Batista has been advising that such projections extend over four or five years. The Committee agreed and sent a Message to Enrollment Management and Student Affairs---see below Appendix 3
The Committee reviewed the UFS document --Best Practices for Budget Consultation—and recommended that Arnab Sharma review it as well. The Chair and Vice President Faulkner met and went over how much of those practices are already being followed and what else might be done.
New Committee Members – 2021-2022
Philip Pecorino, Faculty Executive Committee, Social Sciences, elected Chair and Secretary for 2021-2022
Steven Dahlke, Academic Senate Steering Committee, Music
David Lieberman, Budget Committee of the College P&B Committee/Committee of Chairs, Physics
Navneet Sandhu, Student Government Association, President
There was a good working relationship with the representatives of the Administration overseeing the financial planning and budgetary processes. They answered all questions and supplied documents when requested.
Philip Pecorino, Chair 2020-2021
QCC Academic Senate Committee on Budget Advisement
Appendix 1: Academic Senate Bylaws VII.
QCC Academic Senate Committee on Budget Advisement
one (1) representative from the Steering Committee of the Academic Senate; one (1) representative from the Budget Committee of the College Personnel and Budget Committee/Committee of Chairs; one (1) representative from the Faculty Executive Committee; one (1) representative from Student Government
The Committee on Budget Advisement shall:
- Meet, on at least a bi-annual basis, with the College’s chief officer for Finance and Administration to discuss college budgetary matters;
- Serve in an advisory capacity to the President on matters of the College budget in its entirety including the Resource Allocation Process;
- Hold any college budget documents circulated in meetings as confidential;
- Report to the College Advisory Planning Committee (CAPC) and the Academic Senate concerning budgetary conditions, and any recommendations regarding the budget and/or the budget allocation process at Queensborough Community College
Documents that will be collected and archived
The list below indicates the documents that the QCC Academic Senate Advisory Committee on the Budget would like to have and will store in a non-public secure location for future use by the Committee when making comparisons or multi-year reports. Most of these have been furnished in the past and others should be readily available once they are completed.
- The most recent annual financial report of CUNY, which includes a very useful “dashboard” on each campus summarizing enrollment, employment, revenue and expenditure trends;
- The latest draft of the QCC financial plan or drafts of the plan, including the supporting tables;
- Table I - Revenue Projection
- Table II - Multi-Year Plan
- Table III - Anticipated Additional Funds
- Table IV - Multi-Year Hiring Plan
- Table V - IFR/Fund Code 11 Program Summary
- Table VI - Procurement Plan
- Table VII - Community ACE Cash Deposit Schedule
- Quarterly reports related to the QCC financial plan
- A multi-year table of full-time positions, identifying faculty lines separately from other positions or QCC Fact books reports;
- QCC Auxiliary Enterprises, Inc. budget, recent annual financial statement, bylaws, and most recent IRS 990 return.3
- QCC FUND budget, recent annual financial statement, bylaws, and most recent IRS 990 return.
- QCC Student Activity Association, Inc. budget, recent annual financial statement, bylaws, and most recent IRS 990 return.
- QCC Student Tech Fee Plan
- Report on funds made available to faculty for travel and research from all sources such as the PSC contract, QCC Fund and the College itself over a three year period and by academic department.
- Should there be any other supporting entities then their budget, bylaws, and most recent IRS 990 return. These are separate corporations that in some campuses and included in the auxiliary enterprise corporation and in some campuses are separate, like performing arts centers or child care centers.
- Reports of allocations of indirect funds associated with your campus from the Research Foundation;
- Budgets associated with facilities and capital projects plan for QCC;
- Any requests for city council Resolution A funds for capital
Interim Vice President Ellen Hartigan,
Enrollment Management and Student Affairs
Under the charges (d) to this Committee on Budget Advisement we communicate with you as you are the chair of the Executive Enrollment Management Team. The Academic Senate Committee on Budget Advisement sends you this recommendation for enrollment projections to be created that extend beyond one year to four or five years. This is in keeping with CUNY EVC Hector Batista’s recommendation. As a Committee we believe that such considerations will assist the planning and budgetary processes to meet the challenges faced by our College.
Philip Pecorino, Ph.D.
QCC Academic Senate
Committee on Budget Advisement