Accelerated Learning Program Information for Fall 2021
ALP Registration Requirements
- Students must register for both the ENGL99 and the connected ALP-designated English 101 section taught by the same instructor.
- The ENGL99 course is 4 hours, 0 credits and the ENGL101 course is 4 hours, 3 credits.
- The cap for ALP-designated ENGL99 courses is 14. The cap for ALP-designated ENGL101 courses is 24: 14 ALP students (who are also enrolled in the linked BE course) and 10 mainstream ENGL101 students.
- All ALP students will need to be added manually to the ALP Student Group (in CUNY First/Records and Enrollment) and both ALP courses by their advisors. The ALP ENGL99 courses will be invisible to students on CUNY First and listed as closed. ALP students in ENGL101 should be identified in CUNY First rosters with an ALP designation.
- Eligibility: Continuing and incoming students may be registered for ALP if they
- Are continuing students who have one or both remedial needs at the exit level (BE 112/205 for writing, BE 122/226 for reading).
- Are students exiting out of CUNYStart with “R” grades in their BE courses.
- Are an incoming student with an EPI of 50 to 64.
- Are an incoming ESL student with a CATW score of 49 to 55.
- Advisors will need to override students into ALP-designated sections (a prerequisite override for ENGL 101 in particular.) ESL students are eligible for ALP courses, but advisors may have to do a prerequisite override for ESL students who are in the ESLR student group in CUNY First.
- If an advisor has any trouble registering a student for ALP courses, he/she can email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to request enrollment, and the student will be manually enrolled.
All BE courses in ALP are designed for both native-English speaking students AND English Language Learners.
ALP Student Group in CUNY First
Students enrolled in linked ALP courses must be added to the ALP Student Group in CUNYFirst. This ensures that they will not be removed from English 101 automatically during prerequisite sweeps or by individuals auditing course rosters. All academic advisors should have access to the student group. An advisor who does not have that access may contact Margot Edlin or Jose Holguin at the email addresses above.
ALP Fall 2021 Sections
More information coming soon!