BI-140 : Principles of Biology

Course Information

Course, prefix, number, & title: BI-140 Principles of Biology

Hours (Class, recitation, Laboratory, studio): 3 class hours 3 laboratory hours

Credits: 4

Pre-requisites (if any): Students must complete any developmental requirements in English (see Proficiency in Math and English) prior to taking this course. Credit will not be given to students who have successfully completed BI-201.

Course Description in college catalog:

A comprehensive approach to the interaction of living things in the biological world. Topics include the cellular basis of life, genetics, reproduction, evolution, and ecology. The laboratory experience includes dissection of selected vertebrates. 

Academic programs for which this course serves as a requirement or an elective:

General Education Outcomes: Below is a listing of General Education Outcome(s) that this course supports.

  1. Use analytical reasoning to identify issues or problems and evaluate evidence in order to make informed decisions

  2. Reason quantitatively as required in various fields of interest and in everyday life

  3. Apply information management and digital technology skills useful for academic research and lifelong learning

Course-specific student learning outcomes:

1) Outline the steps of the scientific method, identify variables and design a controlled experiment.

2) Demonstrate the ability to analyze quantitative data, organize it in the form of a graph; analyze evidence and the ability to draw a conclusion.

3) Demonstrate an understanding of key concepts in evolutionary biology, the history of life on Earth, and phylogenetic relationships between organisms.

4) Integrate knowledge of evolution with observable natural phenomenon, especially antibiotic resistance, pest resistance, extinction and emerging new diseases.

5) Demonstrate knowledge of properties of life, cell theory, and cell types, and identify the fundamental unity across greater diversity among all living organism on Earth.

6) Describe the functions of cellular organelles and their role in major energy transformation processes of respiration and photosynthesis

7) Apply the laws of genetics to predict the results of genetic crosses and have an understanding of the role of genetic factors in health and disease.

8) Demonstrate an understanding of ecological relationships between organisms and their environment and relate the knowledge acquired

to global environmental issues.

Program-specific outcomes

1) Identify and apply the fundamental concepts and methods of a life or physical science.

2) Apply the scientific method to explore natural phenomena, including hypothesis development, observation, experimentation, measurement, data analysis, and data presentation.

3) Use the tools of a scientific discipline to carry out collaborative laboratory investigations.

4) Identify and apply the fundamental concepts and methods of a discipline or interdisciplinary field exploring the scientific world, including, but not limited to: computer science, history of science, life and physical sciences, linguistics, logic, mathematics, psychology, statistics, and technology-related studies.

5) Articulate and evaluate the empirical evidence supporting a scientific or formal theory.

6) Articulate and evaluate the impact of technologies and scientific discoveries on the contemporary world, such as issues of personal privacy, security, or ethical responsibilities.

Methods by which student learning will be assessed and evaluated; describe the types of methods to be employed; note whether certain methods are required for all sections:

The lecture grade will constitute 65% of your final course grade and will be based on exams prepared by your lecture instructor. There will be five of these exams, with the lowest grade dropped. There is no cumulative final exam. The remaining 35% of the final course grade will be based on the laboratory grade. Most of the laboratory grade (85%) is based on quizzes, with the lowest grade dropped. The remaining 15% is based on a practical exam covering fetal pig dissection. To pass the course you must pass both the lab and the lecture parts of the course with a grade of 60 or better.

Academic Integrity policy (department or College):
Academic honesty is expected of all students. Any violation of academic integrity is taken extremely seriously. All assignments and projects must be the original work of the student or teammates. Plagiarism will not be tolerated. Any questions regarding academic integrity should be brought to the attention of the instructor. The following is the Queensborough Community College Policy on Academic Integrity: "It is the official policy of the College that all acts or attempted acts that are violations of Academic Integrity be reported to the Office of Student Affairs. At the faculty member's discretion and with the concurrence of the student or students involved, some cases though reported to the Office of Student Affairs may be resolved within the confines of the course and department. The instructor has the authority to adjust the offender's grade as deemed appropriate, including assigning an F to the assignment or exercise or, in more serious cases, an F to the student for the entire course." Read the University's policy on Academic Integrity opens in a new window(PDF).

Any student who feels that he or she may need an accommodation based upon the impact of a disability should contact the Office of Accessibility Services in Science Building, Room S-132, 718-631-6257, to coordinate reasonable accommodations for students with documented disabilities. You can visit the Office of Accessibility Services website.

Campus Cultural Centers

Kupferberg Holocaust Center exterior lit up at nightOpens in a new window
Kupferberg Holocaust Center Opens in a new window

The KHC uses the lessons of the Holocaust to educate current and future generations about the ramifications of unbridled prejudice, racism and stereotyping.

Russian Ballet performing at the Queensborough Performing Arts CenterOpens in a new window
QPAC: Performing Arts CenterOpens in a new window

QPAC is an invaluable entertainment company in this region with a growing national reputation. The arts at QPAC continues to play a vital role in transforming lives and building stronger communities.

Queensborough Art Gallery exterior in the afternoonOpens in a new window
QCC Art Gallery

The QCC Art Gallery of the City University of New York is a vital educational and cultural resource for Queensborough Community College, the Borough of Queens and the surrounding communities.