About the Chemistry Department
The Chemistry Department is located on the 4th floor of the Science Building in room S-445.
Dr. Sasan Karimi, PhD
Did you know:
- Course offerings include General and Organic Chemistry for the Health Science programs.
- Every semester more than 800 students take various chemistry courses to fulfill their academic requirements.
- All required chemistry courses, including those in pre-professional health science programs, are taught by nine full time faculty and many seasoned adjunct professors.
- State of the art technology using computers with power point presentations along with the traditional methods of teaching on the blackboard are integral components of the educational process.
- All chemistry courses are fully transferable to all CUNY colleges as long as they are completed with a grade of C or better.
- The department is equipped with various instruments such as FT-NMR, FT-IR, GC, GC-MS, HPLC, UV, etc. These instruments are put to use for the traditional labs and for research.
- Computer-driven tutorial programs are also provided to students to help them go through drills and reviews at their own pace and time.
We applied and were granted the request to host the ACS MARM meeting for 2008 which was very rare achievement for a community college.
We also hosted the 52nd Undergraduate Research Symposium (PDF) of the NY subsection of the American Chemical Society, on May 1, 2004.
In 2003 the Carnegie Foundation and the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) bestowed Dr. Paris Svoronos, the most prestigious award of “the outstanding community college professor of the year for 2003.” This is the only award given to all community college professors of all various fields, ranks and colleges.
Are you interested in chemistry? Then come and talk with us.
Stop in S-445 or call us at 718-631-6280.