The Committee on Pre-College
2022-2025: (6 Members)
Faculty Representatives (Name, Department, Term Ends)
- Benjamin Miller, English (2024) -- Chair
- Dugwon Seo, Engineering Techology (2024)
- Rochelle Nelson, Biology (2025) -- Secretary
- Arthur Abramov, Advisement (2025)
- Dona Boccio, Mathematics and COmputer Science (2023)
- Jilani Warsi, English (2023)
- TBA, COC Liaison
- TBA, Steering Committee Designee
- Michael Pullin, Dean of Academics, President's Liaison
Section 17. The Committee on Pre-College
The Committee on Pre-College shall consist of six (6) members of the instructional staff and one (1) student. Ex-Officio members should include the following: Directors of CUNY Start, CLIP, College Now, and the BTECH Campus Liaison.
The Committee on Pre-College shall:
- Report and recommend to the Academic Senate on services and facilities available to the Pre-College programs.
- Serve as a mechanism for articulation alignment between the Pre-College instructional staff and students, with respective academic departmental chairs and the Academic Senate.
- Consider and evaluate proposals received from faculty, students, and the community regarding policies and practices pertaining to Pre-College programs in consultation with respective academic departmental chairs and Dean of Academic Affairs.
- Recommend proposals and policies that would enhance the operation of the pre-college programs to the Associate Dean of Academics.
- Serve as a consultative body for the development of Pre-college programs.
- Provide feedback to proposed courses/programs and existing ones to ensure:
- that they are presented to the related committees and/or academic departments to avoid any conflicts of interest
- that they are in keeping with the mission and image of college
subsequently reporting these new courses/programs and/or existing ones to the Academic Senate for its information.
The 6 members will be assigned by the Committee on Committees in staggered terms as follow: 2 members from 2020- 2021 (1 year), 2 members from 2020-2022 (2 years), and 2 members from 2020-2023 (3 years). Thereafter, vacancies will be filled for 3 year terms.
Steering Committee Suggested Charges/Committee Goals
1. Report on below programs to Academic Senate by May 2023 meeting:
B-TECH, COLLEGE NOW, CLIP, CUNY START, MATH START, ENGLISH START
When did they begin?
What is their purpose?
What has been the number of students served?
What has been the outcomes for those students?
What is the current number of students served?
How well do these students perform in the intro level credit bearing courses of the College?
How well do these students progress at the College?
How well do these students progress to graduation?
2. Work with CLIP and CUNYSTART and report on Integration of CLIP and CUNYSTART Pre-College programs into college life, as motivator for program participants to stay at college.
Work with departments to allow for Credit for Prior Learning in their programs to remain competitive in marketplace
3. Follow up on request for Enrollment Data from Enrollment Management Office with Dean Michael Pullin. Report on status to Senate by May 2023
4. Work on Committee Guide Addendum: paste to Addendum in Reports folder on Cascade committee-specific procedures not covered in General Committee Guide