The mission of the Office of Grants/Sponsored Programs is to provide grant development training and grant management support to faculty and staff to promote the successful acquisition and oversight of research and institutional sponsored awards. OGSP develops and implements pre-and post-award grant training for new and existing principal investigators/project directors. Training is provided through workshops, training, dissemination of materials, a website, and one-on-one interactions.
OGSP supports grant directors in managing awards by providing assistance with human resources, purchasing, contract development, sub-awards, financial forecasting, reporting, monitoring, and award close-out. OGSP coordinates with OAA in promoting research integrity and compliance.
- Through exposure to grant development best practices, faculty and staff will improve skill in developing grant proposals.
- Faculty and staff will gain knowledge of grant stewardship best practices to maintain continued sponsor support to QCC and other CUNY campuses.
- In managing grant awards, faculty and staff will be assisted in adhering to federal, state, city and private grant compliance requirements as well as CUNY and QCC policies.
- Campus leadership will support and promote appropriate stewardship of sponsored awards.
Grant Development Services Offered
- Research on grant prospects
- Strategizing how to position the project for funding
- Grant guidelines review for eligibility and fit
- Grant budget assistance and review
- Computing fringe and indirect charges
- Setting up a schedule to produce the proposal
- Working with partners - Letter of Support/Agreement, MOUs/MOAs, Subrecipient agreement
- Reviewing proposal for content, responsiveness to guidelines, grammar
- Editing the proposal
Grants Management Services Offered
- Hiring employees on a grant
- Buying supplies and equipment with grant funding
- Setting up contracts with vendors and consultants
- Budget monitoring and projections
- Summer salary and release time arrangements
- Deciphering complex budget requirements
- Guidance through compliance requirements
- Tracking time and effort
- Grant closeout
- New! Electronic Grant Proposal Information Form (e-GPI)
Grants/Sponsored Programs Responsibilities
The Office of Grants/Sponsored Programs (OGSP) is responsible for Sponsored Programs Administration and is accessible to assist principal investigators or project directors with any sponsored research or administrative program requirements. The OGSP reports to the President, Provost, or their designee; at QCC, the appointee is the Dean for Faculty, Dr. Sandra Palmer. OGSP is available for:
- Assisting the PI with the administration of research and sponsored programs from inception through close-out;
- Reviewing proposals submitted to assure compliance with University policy. The Grants Office also reviews budgets to verify that all appropriate charges are included in the cost calculations.
- In cooperation with The Research Foundation, assisting the PI with the negotiation and acceptance of grant awards;
- In cooperation with the University and The Research Foundation, assisting the PI with the negotiation and execution of contracts and cooperative agreements;
- In cooperation with the University, assuring compliance with sponsor’s policies, e.g., fiscal, property, intellectual property, human and animal subjects;
- In cooperation with the University, assuring compliance with the policies and procedures of the Research Foundation;
- In cooperation with the University and The Research Foundation, maintaining official records concerning sponsored projects, including official grant and contract files;
- Assisting faculty and department/school staff in the preparation of proposals and other administrative aspects of sponsored projects as needed; and
- Faculty and administrative staff are trained in the university, college, and sponsors rules, processes, and practices.