Students with disabilities at Queensborough Community College have the right to:
- Equal access to courses, programs services and activities offered at the college.
- An equal opportunity to learn and to receive reasonable accommodations, academic adjustments and services.
- Choose whether they wish to self-disclose and/or request accommodations.
- All other rights and privileges available to other students at Queensborough Community College.
Students with disabilities at Queensborough Community College have the responsibility to:
- Meet qualifications and maintain essential institutional standards for courses, programs and activities.
- Demonstrate and/or provide documentation (from an appropriate professional) on how the disability limits participation in courses, programs, services and activities.
- Follow and abide by the college’s procedures for obtaining accommodations, academic adjustments and/ or other services.
- Provide their own personal aide(s) to help with bathing, dressing, other personal care, navigating the campus, or after class studies.
The Office of Accessibility Services has the right to:
- Request and receive current documentation that supports request for documentation, academic adjustments and/or auxiliary aids and services.
- Deny a request for accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services if the documentation demonstrates that the request is not warranted or if the student fails to provide appropriate documentation.
- Select among equally effective accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services.
- Refuse an unreasonable accommodation, adjustment, and/or auxiliary aid or service that imposes a fundamental alteration of a college program or activity.
The Office of Accessibility Services has the responsibility to:
- Provide information to students with disabilities in accessible format upon request.
- Ensure that courses, programs, services, activities and facilities are available and usable in the most integrated and appropriate settings.
- Review requests for accommodations to determine eligibility for services and the nature of accommodations
- Provide or arrange for reasonable accommodations, academic adjustments and auxiliary aids or services.
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality of records and communications except where permitted of required by law or when the student requests that such information be shared.
- Serve as a liaison between students and faculty.
- Serve as a resource on disability issues for the Queensborough Community College campus community.
Faculty members have the right to:
- Establish and maintain standards for courses and academic programs.
- Provide the approved accommodations independently of the OAS lab.
- Request assistance and resources from the Office of Accessibility Services
Faculty members are responsible for:
- Fostering an accessible learning environment to all learners
- Working with the student and the Office of Accessibility Services to ensure the provision of reasonable accommodations.
- Addressing concerns about disability accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services.